Google Lunar X PRIZE Roundup #44 April 15, 2011Posted by Nick Azer in : Google Lunar X Prize, Google Lunar X Prize Roundup , trackback
The Google Lunar X PRIZE is a $30 million competition challenging private space enterprises to land a rover on the Moon. Every two weeks, I round up the latest developments as the teams rocket forwards and upwards…
Apollo veterans are popping up left and right across the GLXP! Lots of content and some great interviews from March 15-31st, so dig right on for some of the latest developments in private space’s march to the moon…
- Team Barcelona Moon posted two calls for ideas/proposals: One for lunar science+tech, and one for lunar mini robots!
- Team Omega Envoy opened a new facility!
- Team Phoenicia had a guest post offering a critique of helium-3 as a lunar driving force! The team also added carbon fiber company Hexcel as a sponsor!
- Team ARCA posted 7+ new video blogs to their Youtube channel!
- Team Next Giant Leap posted the three steps to winning the GLXP (and where they’re at), a video overview of their mission concept, a 2009 presentation to the Space Investment Summit,and an official GLXP video interview with their team leader, Michael Joyce! The team also blogged about their partner, and significant NewSpace enterprise, the Sierra Nevada Corporation!
- Team Rocket City Space Pioneers interviewed former NASA Administrator, Michael Griffin! The team also posted video of a drivetrain test bed rover, and some of the team’s students interviewed Apollo veteran Fred Haise!
- Team Astrobotic posted a video on staying cool during the lunar day, and a video interview from their 500m field test!
- Team Euroluna posted a video discussing retro rocket options! They also blogged about CubeSat development (and the challenges of carrying one onto a plane…) :)
- Team Puli posted a detailed update on their progress! They also stopped in with Evadot to talk the far side of the moon, posted video of rover demonstrations, and featured a film about Yuri Gagarin’s first flight :)
- Team Selenokhod posted an animation of their rover concept! They also blogged about rover thermal analysis, and posted video of one of their meetings :) Also, Russian 24/7 news network RT featured the team in a video segment!
- Team Mystical Moon blogged about the challenges of rocketry, as well as collaboration vs competition with other teams!
- Team Indus blogged about the impact matrix and the way going forward, as well as team branding!
- Team White Label Space is looking for a video producer (students welcome)! They also blogged a timeline of space history in April, and posted a video of how to disassemble their lander (mockup) :)
- Team Part Time Scientists blogged in German, and featured their Android app! :) They also posted two more of their big Fan friday Q+As—one in English, one in German :)
- Team Penn State Lunar Lion blogged about closing in on designs!
- Team Space IL blogged about coverage in Israel and abroad!
- Team Synergy Moon blogged about their Tesla surveyor! They also posted a video on their new advisor: Mike Vucelich, Apollo veteran!
- Team Plan B posted a brief update on vehicle development!
Almost half of those were from one day—-March 31st. Phew! An epic day for GLXP goodness :) Roundup #45 should be coming along shortly (for April 1-15), so keep an eye out… :)